Who should take the French Placement Test?
Before enrolling in a French class, students who have previously studied French should take the placement test. Students can only be placed in FRE 101, 103, 105, 108 and 207 (the latter placement must be confirmed with an interview by the placement officer, Dr. Perrier.
Students who previously took a French language class in the French Department
(FRE 101-102-103-105) and who studied abroad during a semester or over the summer must retake the French Placement Test so that their level can be reassessed in order to enroll in the appropriate class level.
Please note the following for planning purposes
- FRE 101 and 105 are only offered in the fall
- FRE 102 is only offered in the spring
- Students can take the test only once per year
Who should NOT take the French Placement Test?
Normally, students who scored a 5 on the AP exam, a 760 on the SAT Subject, 7 on the higher-level IB test, a grade of A on the British A-level exam administers in 2019 have fulfilled their language requirements do not need to take the placement test and are eligible for an FRE 200+ class. However, due to the changed examination circumstances due to Coronavirus, all students who received these scores on tests administered in 2020 must take the Departmental Placement Test in order to confirm their advanced placement. Students will be awarded advanced placement credit if they pass the departmental placement test.
- Students who scored a 5 on the AP exam, a 760 on the SAT Subject, 7 on the higher-level IB test, a grade of A on the British A-level exam have fulfilled their language requirements do not need to take the placement test and are eligible for an FRE 200+ class.
- Students who have already met the language requirement are encouraged to enroll in an upper-division class if they wish to pursue further studies in French. For information about possible pathways, please contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies, Christy Wampole: cwampole@Princeton.EDU.
Students with valid netIDs can access the online placement tests following the instructions below:
- From the list of Language Placement Test Self-Enrollment Links below, click on the link to self-enroll into the Language Placement Test course site of your choosing in Canvas.
(Note: You may be prompted to log in to Canvas. If so, click the Princeton netID, button and enter your credentials in the space provided.)
- When the Canvas site loads, click the Enroll in Course button.
- At that point, you’ll be added to the course roster. You are not required to take the test immediately; you can return to the test site at any time during the testing period by following the link that will appear in your Canvas dashboard. (Allow enough time to complete the test by the deadline.)
- If the course site is available, you will be given the choice to visit the Language Placement Test site or return to your Canvas Dashboard. If you do not access the Placement Test site immediately, you can always access it from your Canvas Dashboard.
- If the course site is NOT available, you will receive an email from Canvas once the site is made available.
French Language Placement Test Self-Enrollment Link : https://princeton.instructure.com/enroll/7MN4LK
If you have any questions, please contact the French Placement Test Officer, Dr. Murielle Perrier