The online French Placement Test will be made available to students at 9:00 am ET on Wednesday, June 14th until 2:00 pm ET on Wednesday August 23, 2017. Students should start the test no later than 12:30 pm on August 23rd in order to read the instructions, do the practice test and complete the test before 2:00 pm. Please give yourself one and a half hour to complete the test on-line.
- The test is ONLY available TWICE A YEAR, between June and August and, one week in January, during reading period. If students miss the on-line availability dates, they will have to wait until the test reopens on-line on the scheduled dates.
Who should take the French Placement Test?
Before enrolling in a French class, students who have previously studied French should take the placement test. Students can only be placed in FRE 101, 103, 105, 108 and 207 (the latter placement must be confirmed with an interview by the placement officer, Dr. Perrier [firstname.lastname@example.org]).
Students who previously took a French language class in the French Department
(FRE 101-102-103-105) and who studied abroad during a semester or over the summer must retake the French Placement Test so that their level can be reassessed in order to enroll in the appropriate class level.
Please note the following for planning purposes
- FRE 101 and 105 are only offered in the fall
- FRE 102 is only offered in the spring
- Students can take the test only once per year
Who should NOT take the French Placement Test?
- Students who scored a 5 on the AP exam, a 760 on the SAT Subject, 7 on the higher-level IB test, a grade of A on the British A-level exam have fulfilled their language requirements do not need to take the placement test and are eligible for a FRE 200+ class.
- Students who have already met the language requirement are encouraged to enroll in an upper-division class if they wish to pursue further studies in French. For information about possible pathways, please contact the Department Representative.
After logging in to Blackboard ( https://blackboard.princeton.edu/ ), click the Language Placement Tests link in the Course Catalog module.
Hover over the name of the language and click the chevron that appears then click Enroll.
On the page that opens, click the Submit button, then the OK button. This will take you to the test site.
You are not required to take the test immediately; you can return to the test site at any time during the testing period by following the link that will appear in your My Current / Recent Courses module.
If you have any questions, please contact the French Placement Test Officer, Dr. Murielle Perrier